Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247982.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:36:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Broxtowe (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 48390 42289



4/5 Church of St. Catherine 13.10.66 G.V. II*

Parish church. C13, C14. Rebuilt for Rev. F. Hewgill, 1842. Dressed stone and ashlar with lead roofs. Bracketed eaves, coped gables with kneelers. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, vestry, south porch. West tower, C13 and late C14, 2 stages, has chamfered plinth, string course, moulded eaves, crenellated parapet. Set back octagonal spire with 4 gabled lucarnes and ball finial. First stage has to west, traceried eye-shaped opening. Second stage has to north, south and west, altered C14 double lancet with flowing tracery and square headed reveal. Nave clerestory, 2 bays, has on each side 2 C16 style double lancets with hood moulds. North aisle, 2 bays, has at west end C14 style double lancet. North side has 2 C15 style triple lancets with square heads. All have hood moulds. South aisle has at east end, double lancet with geometrical tracery. South side has a triple lancet similar to north aisle. West end has C13 style double lancet with hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, has lean-to organ chamber to north. East end has untraceried cusped triple lancet with depressed head and hood mould. South side has 3 buttresses and 2 C14 style double lancets with hood moulds and stops. Lean-to vestry has moulded eaves and coped parapet. To north, double lancet and Tudor arched door. South porch has pointed doorway with octagonal responds and hood mould. Common rafter roof. Inner door C14 style. Chamfered and rebated C14 tower arch contains organ in traceried case. Nave arcades, C14, 2 bays, have octagonal piers and responds with double chamfered and rebated arches. Low pitched roof with chamfered span beams. North aisle has west window, 1964, by Francis Skeat, and stained glass east window, 1954. South aisle has stained glass east window, 1947, and west window, 1975. South side window has early C15 stained glass panel. Both aisles have lean- to roofs. C14 style chamfered and rebated chancel arch has octagonal imposts. Chancel north side has moulded doorway and to east, chamfered pointed tomb recess. East end has traceried panelled reredos, early C20, and patterned stained glass window. South side has to east, C14 piscina and south side windows with the Arms of Willoughby and Morteyne, 1584 and 1310. Fittings include octagonal font, C15, with moulded foot and stem plus traceried bowl. C19 octagonal oak poor box. C19 lectern. Stone font on oak stand, 1892. C19 skeleton pulpit, panelled stalls and desks. Monuments include alabaster slab in recess, with dentillated edges and shields. 2 C19 scrolled crosses and commandment boards. Cased and illustrated Roll of Honour, 1939- 45. Royal Arms in papier mache.

Listing NGR: SK4839042289


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/13757/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].