CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1248532
Date first listed:
13-Jan-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, BELLEVUE BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1248532 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 18:54:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, BELLEVUE BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Gateshead (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 25559 60319

Details

1. BELLEVUE BANK 5099 (north side)

NZ 2560 10/53 Church of St Helen

II*

2. Parish Church to new Parish formed out of St John's. 1876 by John Wardle. Built at a cost of £13,000, the gift of Edward Joicey of Whinney House, Durham Road (qv). Large, solid Early English style. Coursed, rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings. Graduated lakeland slate roof. Cruciform with short apsidal chancel having cross- gabled vestry, large transepts and south-west tower with stone broach spire; north- west balancing porch. Stepped buttresses, lancets single and grouped, tower doorway with mouldings and nook-shafts.

Interior of snecked stone with ashlar dressings. Arch braced timber roof on carved corbels. Carved stone reredos, pulpit and font. Interesting glass:

1. Chancel, 5 lancets, style of Morris & Co. Miracles. Transfiguration, Sermon on Mount.

2. N & S transepts, evangelists and prophets, possibly Kempe.

3. Nave, north side, Burne-Jones designs, saints.

One window in south transept signed G J Baguley, Newcastle, 1902. Brass plate to Edward Joicey, the donor.



Listing NGR: NZ2555960319

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
430168
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00738/03
Rights: Copyright IoE D.S Ridley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].