HAMILTON MEMORIAL DRINKING FOUNTAIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1248617

Date first listed: 23-Jul-1991

Statutory Address: HAMILTON MEMORIAL DRINKING FOUNTAIN, PORTMAN SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAMILTON MEMORIAL DRINKING FOUNTAIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1248617 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:33:50.

Location

Statutory Address: HAMILTON MEMORIAL DRINKING FOUNTAIN, PORTMAN SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28127 81274

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2881 SW PORTMAN SQUARE

55/102 Hamilton Memorial Drinking Fountain

II

Drinking fountain. 1878, donated by Lady Hamilton through the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association. Polished pink granite. Rectangular base with plinth having spouts and semi-circular basins on 3 faces and a tall column surmounted by an urn. Inscribed to the memory of Sir James Hamilton. Religious inscriptions, some on a small bronze plaque, bear witness to the evangelical dimension of the Association's activities at the height of its philanthropic functions. Founded in 1859 the Association provided free fresh water to many humans and beasts at a time when ale and spirits were easier to obtain than water and most supplies contaminated. Lady Hamilton designed the acorn jets found on many fountains of the period after-public comments were made about the unseemliness of water flowing from the mouths of animals. The Association provided a catalogue of functional designs but some wealthy patrons used their own.

Listing NGR: TQ2812781274

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 430326

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

End of official listing