CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1248685.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:08:03.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rushcliffe (District Authority)
- Barton in Fabis
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 52245 32758
BARTON IN FABIS CHURCH LANE
SK 53 SW (north side)
Church of 4/2 St. George 13.10.66 G.V. I
Parish church. C14, C15, C17, 1693, restored 1855 and 1877 probably by T. C. Hine and 1886. Tower restored 1892. Dressed coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Single red brick stack to north nave. Parapets. Coped gables. Single ridge crosses to east nave and east chancel. Buttressed and set on a plinth. Tower with spire, nave, south aisle, south porch and chancel. Embattled angle buttressed C14 single stage tower with attached circular embattled stair turret to the north east. Early C15 spire with 4 lucarnes. The west side has a C19 doorway with 2 rectangular lights above. The north side has a single and the stair turret 4 rectangular lights. The south side has a single rectangular light. The 4 C14 bell chamber openings each have 2 trefoil arched lights and 2 mouchettes under a flat arch. The north nave with continuous sill band forming a hood mould over the doorway and extending to the chancel, has a single C14 window with 2 trefoil arched lights and tracery under a flat arch. To the left is a moulded arched doorway with C17 door and further left 2 similar windows with 2 similar windows in the north chancel. The east chancel has a single arched 3 light C15 window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south chancel has 2 similar C14 windows, below that on the left is a C14 moulded arched doorway with remains of 3 attached colonnettes with fillets and moulded capitals. The single buttress to the right with sundial. To the left is a single restored C15 window with 2 cinquefoil arched lights under a flat arch, the band forming a hood mould. The east wall of the south aisle has a single C17 3 light window under a flat arch. The south wall has 2 similar C14 windows. To the left is the 1693 porch with parapet and clasping pilaster buttresses. Capitals support an entablature. Arched entrance with imposts and panelled spandrel. Keystone inscribed: "RS:HP HW 1693". Inner moulded arched doorway. to the left is a single similar C14 window. C15 clerestory has 6 windows each with 3 arched lights under a flat arch. Interior. 4 bay C14 nave arcade with octagonal piers, double chamfered arches, hood moulds and label stops. Moulded, pointed arched doorway to the tower. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner chamfer supported on 2 corbels. Glazed screen being constructed from C16 rood screen with cinquefoil arched panels, each cusp terminating in 3 small orbs. Trefoil panels over surmounted by crocketed finials. In the chancel is a restored C14 sedilia with cinquefoil arches and crocketed ogee hood moulds with finials. Trefoil arched piscina, flanking the top are single small ogee arched recesses for cruets. Similar piscina in the south wall of the south aisle, the north wall of the south aisle has a trefoil arched piscina, and flanking the west window are single corbels. East chancel wall with remains of C14 arched and cusped canopy. The restored pulpit has some C17 decorative panelling. C19 panelled octagonal ashlar font. C17 altar table. Some C18 benches. Remaining furniture C19 with 2 carved chairs. Remains of C18 clock mechanism. There is a board detailing benefactions. In the chancel is the 1616 alabaster tomb with reclining effigies of William and Tabitha Sacheverell. The male figure with head on a helmet and the female figure with head on a pillow. The sides of the tomb are decorated with incised carved figures next the inscription and shield to the front. Further tomb to Raefe Sacheverell, 1605, over and mounted onto the wall is an inscription plaque, surrounded by painted shields. A band of modillion extends under. The plaque is flanked by single Doric columns which support a dentil cornice with shield over. There is a wall tablet to Joseph Milner, 1750, the inscription flanked by decorative scrolls. The wall tablet to Henry Sacheverell, 1598, has coloured shields flanking the inscription with a modillion surround rising to a round arch enclosing a coloured shield and flanked by single obelisks. There are wall tablets to John Wickliffe, 1792, that to Henry and Katherine Sitwell, 1691 is surmounted by a segmental arch containing a single angel's head, with painted shield over. The apron is decorated with a festoon. Several C18 and Cl9 floor slabs. The west wall of the south aisle has 7 C18 and C19 slate wall tablets to the Stevenson family. Set into a raised dais are 3 C18 floor slabs and on the south and north walls are 5 decorative C18 and Cl9 wall tablets to the Wilkinson and Stevenson families by Winfield and Chilwell. Under the east window of the south aisle is the C17 tomb of Alicie Georgii Sitwell. The C15 nave roof has some moulded and carved beams.
Listing NGR: SK5224532758
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing