CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1248820
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1248820 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 13:48:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Milton
National Grid Reference:
SP 45047 35014

Details

MILTON SP4435 10/11 Church of St. John the 08/12/55 Evangelist

GV II

Church. 1856 by William Butterfield. Built by Franklin's and Hopcrafts of Deddington. Regular coursed ironstone rubble and limestone dressings. Steeply pitched plain tile roof. Stone copings. Chancel, nave and central tower. Decorated style. 3-light chancel east window has intersecting tracery. Other windows include 2-light windows with trefoiled heads and windows with intersecting tracery. Bell tower of 3 stages has plain tile pyramidal roof and louvred trefoil headed windows to bell stage. Slits to stair. Steeply pitched plain tile roof to south porch, weatherboarded sides. South doorway: plain with moulded jambs. Interior: East window by F. Preedy of London. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.705; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p.36).

Listing NGR: SP4504735014

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
430562
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 705
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 36

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12512/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].