Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249035.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:32:52.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Lichfield (District Authority)
Mavesyn Ridware
National Grid Reference:
SK 08162 16871


SK 01 NE; 6/105


Church of St Nicholas




Parish church. Mainly 1782, with C13 north aisle and C15 tower. C13 and C14 sandstone ashlar and C18 red brick (Flemish bond); slate roofs. Three-bay nave and polygonal apse containing the chancel, and north aisle terminated to the west by the tower.

Tower. Three stages with moulded parapet string, gargoyles and crenellated parapet. The lower stages have rectangular loops with chamfered surrounds; 4-centred belfry openings with cusped Y-tracery and hollowed surround, and hood moulds terminating in heads. South aisle. Pointed east window of three graded lancets. On the south side a lancet and a C15 window of four lights beneath a 4-centred arch. Blocked south door with segmental arch and inserted window. Nave and chancel. 1782. Symmetrical with Gothic elements. Moulded plinth and eaves cornice. Painted windows with hollow-moulded arches springing from moulded imposts, Y-tracery, and small leaded panes. Pointed west doorway with 2-leaf door and pilastered stone surround.

INTERIOR. C13 three-bay north arcade: octagonal columns with moulded capitals and pointed arches of two chamfered orders. Pointed tower arch towards the nave and engaged semi-octagonal columns. Pointed chancel arch of three roll-moulded orders. Dentilled plaster ceiling over nave with multiple roll-moulded order to a central panel. Gothick plaster vault over the chancel with crocketed ogee arches springing from clustered and banded shafts. In the north aisle a C13 piscina and a lancet to the west blocked by the tower. This window is also visible from within the tower: it has a hood mould terminated by grotesque heads. The north aisle has a plaster vault over an arch braced collar roof. FITTINGS. Font of circa 1200 with a wavy band of stiff leaf. Gothic style wooden pulpit of 1895. C18 cast-iron communion rail. Waist high wooden wall panelling around nave and chancel. MONUMENTS. The entire south aisle is taken up by the Mavesyn Chapel which contains the family monuments. This is at a lower level than the nave. Around the walls are alabaster panels beneath cusped arches on clustered columns. They are incised with the effigies of medieval ancestors but are actually late C18 or early C19, for they are not recorded by Stebbing Shaw in his engravings of the chancel (1785). Also three small alabaster reliefs depicting battles fought by Mavesyns, of similar date. Two chest tombs, both with incised alabaster slabs. In the centre, Sir Robert Mavesyn died 1403 at the battle of Shrewsbury with an C18/C19 effigy. At the east end Thomas Cawarden, died 1593, and his wife Anne. On the floor at the east end are incised slabs to David Cardon, died 1557, and wife; John Cordon, died 1485, and wife; John Cordon, died 1477; and Hugh Davenport, died 1473. In the north wall are two recesses containing recumbant effigies, both knights, one C13, the other early C14. Also in the chapel are a shield and pieces of armour, and the walls are covered with heraldic shields, some of which are blank. In the nave is a C17 tablet containing two brasses and a tablet to William Robinson, died 1771, with an obelisk and draped urn above. Stained glass. East window of Mavesyn chancel is dated 1870. It depicts former Mavesyns and heraldic shields.

Listed Grade I as a complete example of a late C18 church rebuilding including a very rare late C18 and early C19 conversion of a medieval aisle to the former church into a family chapel with neo-medieval fittings and monuments.

Listing NGR: SK0815916873


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 203
Shaw, Stebbing, The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire, (1798), 190-196


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02940/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Kaz Diller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].