CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1249281
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249281 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 05:28:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Curry Rivel
National Grid Reference:
ST 39169 25393

Details

ST32NE CURRY RIVEL CP CHURCH GREEN

1/79 Church of St. Andrew

17.4.59

GV I

Anglican parish church. C13, C15, restored C19, Blue lias and Ham stone, lead sheetinq roofs. Predominantly Perpendicular. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, north and south chapels, west tower. Tower rebuilt 1861, 3 stages, embattled parapet, set-back buttresses, tall transoned bell-chamber openings with Somerset-type tracery; quatrefoil frieze at foot of bell stage. West doorway with traceried spandrels. Statue in niche to south side; clock with Roman numerals by E Dent and Co of 1860. Very fine south facade, richly cusped transomed 4-light windows, battlements; C18 brass to south-east buttress. East window of south chapel 'with quatreloll frieze at its foot. Porch with paryise, fan-vault inside, with stoup. interior rercofed l861; arcades with piers of 4-hollows section; C16 bench ends with poppy heads; carved heads over chancel and tower arches; pulpit of 1863, North aisle with C15 roof; C19 memorials; north-east window restored 1893, glass of 1930. C15 parclose screens to chapels, covings with carved ribs. North chapel with C13 and C14 work, some tomb recesses with effigies of a knight and children; walls with traces of earlier openings; Decorated rere-arches to windows and a piscina; Classical tomb to Robert Jennings, obit. l593, columns with canopy; C17 and C18 floor slabs; C17 altar table. Chancel shortened C18 and re-roof with barrel-vault; aumbry with linen-fold door; separating chancel from north chapel the large Jennings tomb with 2 figures, coffered arch canopy with crest, railings, c1625; sedilia to south; east window with remains of medieval glass. South chapel with piscina and good memorials to east wall to Powell family; C20 east window. Tower with fan-vault, panelled tower arch; west window of 1868. South aisle with C15 roof; some early glass to west window; Royal Arms of King Charles II. C16, C17, C18, and C19 bells.

Listing NGR: ST3916925395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
431260
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08938/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andrew Parslow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].