This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1249589



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Isle Abbotts

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jun-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 431769

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/18 Bromes House (previously listed as Brooms Farmhouse)


- II*

Farmhouse, now house. Medieval origin, datestone to porch of 1627 marking restoration and alteration, some minor C19 and C20 work. Coursed rubble, some roughcast and colourwashed, thatched roof, brick stacks. Two storeys, garden front of 1:1:1:2 bays, predominantly 3-light wood and stone mullioned windows; left bay in projecting wing with a coped verge, projecting gabled porch to centre with coping and finial, 3-light stone-mullioned window to first floor. Four-centred arch door opening in a chamfered freestone surround, inner door in a moulded wooden architrave, studded plank door, strap hinges. Interior with features of interest including ceiling beams, plank and muntin partition, and good plaster frieze on first floor; fireplace in a stone surround, 4-centred arch head. Roof with remains of cruck truss. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, December 1972).

Listing NGR: ST3515620792

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in December, (1972)

National Grid Reference: ST 35156 20792


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249589 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 03:37:51.

End of official listing