Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249889.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2021 at 15:56:10.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Hartlepool (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 49184 27588


GREATHAM FRONT STREET NZ 4927 (off west side) 12/21 Greatham Hospital 23.4.52 II

Almshouse (Hospital of God, St. Mary and St. Cuthbert), 1803-4 by Jeffrey Wyatt (later Wyatville) for J.W. Egerton, Earl of Bridgewater; 1272 foundation. Limestone ashlar with hipped slate roofs and stone ridge copings. Rectangular plan around 2 small "T"-plan courtyards. Quasi Gothic style; single storey. Principal (south) front has central hall fronted by a slightly projecting loggia, open to front with 3 pointed, chamfered arches, diagonal buttresses and moulded eaves cornice. Embattled parapet flanks a central square clock tower, having narrow diagonal buttresses, moulded eaves cornice, embattled parapet and octagonal timber bell turret, with pointed, louvred opening to each face, ogee roof and weather-vane finial. Lower 2-bay wings to left and right are buttressed between bays. Octagonal clasping buttresses at angles rise as turret chimney stacks. Mid C20 casements in original chamfered openings under labels. Ridge stack to each wing. Extensions to rear, and former Master's House adjoining north-east angle are not of interest. V.C.H. Durham, 1928, Vol. II p. 121 and Vol. III pp. 242-3.

Listing NGR: NZ4918427588


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Durham, (1928), 242-243
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Durham, (1928), 121


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01276/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Thomas Sample. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].