Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249898.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 05:52:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Hartlepool (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 47048 35107


HART BUTTS LANE NZ 43 NE (off east side) 1/34 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 16.11.67

-- I

Church, having Anglo Saxon nave, C12 north arcade, chancel arch and tower; C13 south aisle, C15 north aisle and piers and responds of north arcade and chancel arch; south arcade and porch of c.1600; chancel of 1806. Restored in late C19, 1927/34 and 1977/80; roofs renewed c.1930. Squared random limestone rubble, coursed to chancel, south aisle and tower; squared quoins. Late C20 stainless steel nave roof; Lakeland slate to chancel and porch roofs. Nave with aisles, south porch, chancel and west tower. Tower of 3 stages with chamfered step-backs has c.1800 straight parapet stepped out at eaves and ogee angle finials. Louvred rectangular belfry openings to west and south faces; other tower openings are lancets. C13 and C15 windows in east and west walls of nave; other windows altered 1806 and in late C19. Round-headed south doorway of 2 moulded orders. Coved cornice below straight aisle parapets; angle and diagonal buttresses. Gabled porch has segmental-arched doorway with double hollow chamfer. Carving of St. George and Dragon of c.1500 to south face of chancel. Off-centre semi-circular tower arch has roll mouldings, impost bands and nook shafts. 2-bay north arcade has semi-circular triple-chamfered arches; 4-bay, slightly pointed double-chamfered south arcade. Both arcades have octagonal piers and responds with moulded caps and bases. North face of north arcade has remains of Anglo-Saxon window in spandrel,and mask rafter corbels. Semi-circular chancel arch of 3 chamfered orders on ½-octagonal responds. Remains of Anglo-Saxon arch in wall above, and contemporary opening higher above. Window in north aisle has stained glass of c.1898 by K. Ayll & Co., (Leeds). Square C12 font with angle shafts and plain sides. Octagonal C14 font has figures and emblems of saints, the Crucifixion and Resurrection, in panels around the bowl, and figures of saints in ogee niches in the stem; putti heads at angles of plinth. Pre-Reformation altar mensa. Monument of c.1783 on south wall of chancel, possibly of Coade stone, painted: aedicule with reeded pilasters, broken pediment and flaming urns as acroteria. Saxon sundial, fragments of grave slabs and other carved stones in north-west corner of nave, below pulpit, and built into west wall. C13 piscina in south aisle. 6 carved masks built into porch walls. V.C.H., Durham, Vol. 3, 1928, pp. 259-62.

Listing NGR: NZ4704735107


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Durham, (1928), 259-262


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01236/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T W Henderson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].