CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1249960
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MILL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1249960.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:20:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MILL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Buxton with Lammas
National Grid Reference:
TG 23351 22704

Details

TG 22 SW BUXTON WITH LAMMAS MILL STREET (north side) 6/19 10/5/61 Church of St. Andrew, Buxton.

II*

Parish Church. C14 in origin, but much restored in 1881, when the tower was rebuilt entirely (date of restoration recorded on north porch). Flint with limestone dressings, slate roofs over nave, north and south porches; black glazed pantiles over chancel; lead roofs over aisles. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, chancel. West tower with angle buttresses and embattled parapet; polygonal stair turret on north side. Lean- to vestry, in south-west angle, with quatrefoil windows. Three Perpendicular windows on north and south of nave; bays divided by set-off buttresses with flushwork panels on south side. Angle buttresses to aisles and east wall. Quatrefoil windows in clerestorey and over chancel arch. 3-bay C14 arcades with good corbel-heads at responds : octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Remains of C16: screen base with original colour now re-set as part of screen to chapel at east end of south aisle. Piscina and triple sedilia C13 with plain arches under a continuous drip mould. Trefoil-headed piscina in south aisle. Good monuments in chancel to Mary Ann Kent (4l773) on south wall and to Margaret Robinson (d.1638) on north wall.

Listing NGR: TG2335122704

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
227979
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05266/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].