CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1250021
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250021.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:54:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Shelford and Newton
National Grid Reference:
SK 66171 42359

Details

SK 64 SE SHELFORD CHURCH STREET (north side)

1/118 Church of St.Peter and St.Paul 1.12.65 G.V. II*

Parish church. C14, C15, restored 1876-8 by Ewan Christian and 1954-5. Ashlar. Lead roofs to all but the chancel which is of plain tiles. Single C20 ashlar and brick stack to north chancel. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east chancel and east nave. Nave has C19 parapet. All but chancel buttressed. Tower, nave, aisles, south porch and chancel. Angle buttressed embattled C15 tower set on a moulded plinth and of 3 stages. Embattlements with some blind tracery. West side with moulded arched doorway and double C19 door. Above is a single restored arched 3 light window with panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. There are 3 rectangular stair lights. Projecting from the south side is a tall narrow ashlar lean-to. There is a single stair light. The east side has a single stair light. The 4 C15 arched bell chamber openings each have 3 cinquefoil cusped lights with hood mould and label stops. Under the south and east openings are single clock faces. The north aisle is set on a moulded plinth there is a continuous sill band forming a hood mould over the doorway. The north wall has a moulded arched doorway, to the left is a single arched C14 3 light window with flowing tracery and hood mould with label stops, further left is a single arched C14 3 light window with reticulated tracery and hood mould with label stops. The east wall has a single arched C14 3 light window with flowing tracery and hood mould. There are 4 C19 segmental pointed arched windows in the clerestory, each with 2 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. The C19 chancel is set on a high plinth with a continuous sill band over. North wall has a single flight of steps leading down to a doorway with single opening to the right and single small quatrefoil over. Above are 4 lancets with hood moulds and label stops. The east wall has a single arched C19 3 light window with reticulated tracery and hood mould. The south wall has 4 lancets with hood moulds and label stops. Under is a chamfered arched doorway. The south aisle is set on a low chamfered plinth and has a continuous sill band broken by the porch. The east wall has a single C19 arched 3 light window with flowing tracery, hood mould and label stops. Under is an ashlar plaque inscribed "1677", The south wall has 2 arched 3 light windows, that on the right with restored C14 reticulated tracery and hood mould and that on the left with C19 flowing tracery, hood mould and label stops. The gabled porch has a moulded arched entrance supported on 2 colonnettes with moulded capitals and shaft rings, hood mould and label stops, C19 wooden gate. The side walls each have a single pair of arched and cusped lights. Inner chamfered arched doorway. To the left is a single similar C19 window with flowingtracery. The clerestory corresponds to thenorth. Interior. C14 double chamfered nave arcades supported on octagonal piers and responds with moulded capitals. Tall moulded tower arch. Double chamfered chancel arch supported on octagonal responds and capitals. Flanking the arch are single corbels supporting shields of arms. Extending under the east window is a continuous sill band of chevron and under the north and south chancel windows a continuous sill band. Mid Cl7 octagonal ashlar font on a pedestal decorated with stylised lozenge, fleur de lys and foliate shapes. Cl? wooden chest and C17 metal chest. C17 alms box. Remaining furniture C19. Monuments in the south chapel with parclose screen include on the east wall, to Elizabeth Ellism 1761, a decorative bracket supporting a carved bust by Nollekens. Under the east window is a large wall tablet supported on 3 brackets to Sir Michael Stanhope, 1587. On the south wall is a C19 monument, colonnettes with shaft rings and decorative capitals flank the inscription and support an entablature decorated with fleuron and supporting 2 angels. Under the south east window are 2 decorative alabaster shields of arms. The monument to Katherine Stanhope, 1636, has a foliate surround to the inscription flanked by single vase pilasters with decorative capitals supporting the segmental pediment containing shield of arms. The apron has a decorative swag. The monument to Lady Georgiana West, 1824, by Chantrey has a kneeling figure over the inscription tablet. There are floor slabs to Arthur Charles Stanhope, 1770 and John Stanhope, 1800. A further floor slab to Charles Stanhope, 1712, has a shield over the inscription, and another C15 has an incised carved, defaced figure. The front of the tomb decorated with 8 kneeling figures and the sides with 3 swaddling figures and a coat of arms. On the east window sill is a fragment reputed to be an all loom weight. There is a section of a C10 cross shaft decorated with the madonna and child, winged angel holding a book and knotwork. The west wall of the south aisle has a wall tablet to Revd. Gabrial Wayne, 1771. The nave roof is supported on corbels, that on the north west representing an angel. The east window is by Kempe, 1897.

Listing NGR: SK6617142359

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
431194
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12765/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerard Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].