This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1250045



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 432277

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



White Lodge TQ 27 SW 5/1 10.3.81


2. Now used as ballet school. 1727-9 from designs by Henry Earl of Pembroke, probably assisted by Roger Morris. Built as a Hunting Lodge for George II. Stone and brick. Green slate roof. Garden front-of 2 storeys, plus basement to sides, and a single tall storey plus basement to central 3 bays. Whole composition 5 bays wide. Basement rusticated to centre bays with central staircases to first floor and segmental headed windows. Doric engaged columns above, supporting entablature and pediment. Outer windows to basement square with keystones and to first floor pedimented. Later brick wings by Roger Morris and S Wright, visible from entrance court, joined to main body by curved screens with 5 niches to each, by Thomas Wright. Porte Cochere added by James Wyatt in 1801. From 1768 known as White Lodge. Alterations 1816 by Repton. Modern picture gallery extension. Interior not seen. V C H Walford, Greater London.

Listing NGR: TQ2068173227

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1969)
Walford, E, Greater London
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

National Grid Reference: TQ 20681 73227


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 03:45:26.

End of official listing