CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1250263

Date first listed: 31-Mar-1949

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, DURHAM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250263 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 06:04:26.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, DURHAM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Hartlepool (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Headland

National Grid Reference: NZ 52781 33775

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTLEPOOL DURHAM STREET NZ 5233 (west side), Headland 8/63 Church of St. Mary 31.3.49

- II

Wrongly shown on O.S. plan as Brougham Street. Roman Catholic Church, 1850, by J.A. Hansom (Preston). Dressed limestone with quoins at angles; Welsh slate roof with terracotta ridge crestings. Early English style. Disoriented, terms used are ritual. Aisled, clearstoried nave, bowed apsidal chancel, north and north-east vestries, south chapel, and west tower from which spire was removed c. 1945. Crypt below chancel now used as chapel. 4-stage tower has clasping buttresses, straight parapet, corbelled out, and vice at north-east angle. Pointed west doorway of 3 moulded orders, the middle order having nook shafts and the inner being trefoil-headed. Figure of Virgin in trefoil-headed gabled niche in west face of 2nd stage; lancets with nook shafts and hoodmoulds, to north and south faces of 2nd stage and in pairs to each face of top stage. Each face of 3rd stage has a cinquefoil. 6-bay nave has paired, chamfered, trefoil headed clearstorey windows. Single lancets, with hoodmoulds and carved stops to aisles and apse. Church interior is painted. Chamfered arcade arches on alternate round and octagonal piers. Coupled-rafter roof with 2 collar beams, wall posts, arched braces and curved angle struts to lower beam. West gallery of 1886. Stained glass to aisle and apse windows by Francis Barnett (York) 1851. Painted stone sedilia with cinquefoil head. Heavily carved and ornamented marble altar with predella, tabernacle and arcaded antependium. Alabaster communion rails and brass gates. Tessellated pavement to centre aisle.

Listing NGR: NZ5278233777

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 432544

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing