OLD POOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1250731
Date first listed:
17-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
OLD POOR HOUSE, VICTORIA STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD POOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250731.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 17:54:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD POOR HOUSE, VICTORIA STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Morley
National Grid Reference:
SE 27187 29496

Details

SE22NE LS27 VICTORIA STREET SE2729 MORLEY (east side), Churwell

2/64 Old Poor House

- II

Poor House, now village meeting centre. Dated 1865. Rock-faced stone basement; 1st floor of red brick in stretcher bond with ashlar band and quoins and white brick sill and impost bands. Tile roof. 2 storeys. 3-bay gabled front. Central doorway with interrupted jambs and overlight flanked by windows with plain stone surrounds and lintel band. 1st floor has stone ogee-arched windows with impost blocks and keystones flanking oval date plaque inscribed:-

"TOWNSHIP OF CHURWELL THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTED BY THE OVERSEERS OF THE POOR AD 1865 "

Pedimented gable in which is set circular recess. Right-hand return fronts Elland Road and has bus-shelter cut into stone basement. 4 bays of windows as front. Dogtooth and dentil cornice to eaves. Lateral stack set between 1st and 2nd bay.

Listing NGR: SE2718729496

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433184
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/05951/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Karran. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].