This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DAIRY AND BAKEHOUSE RANGE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF TUDOR GRANGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DAIRY AND BAKEHOUSE RANGE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF TUDOR GRANGE

List entry Number: 1250947

Location

DAIRY AND BAKEHOUSE RANGE IMMEDIATELY SOUTH OF TUDOR GRANGE, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Nettlestead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433505

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NETTLESTEAD MAIN ROAD, SOMERSHAM TM 04 NE 6/134 Dairy and Bakehouse range immediately south of Tudor Grange 9.12.55 - II Dairy and bakehouse range, built c.1600 adjacent to the service wing of Tudor Grange (then known as Watering Farmhouse). Used in part as a farm office at date of survey. 2 storeys. Timber-framed; infilled along the front with herringbone bricknogging, probably introduced in late C19/early C20; the rear has plastered wattle-and-daub infill panels. The close-studding has unusual paired serpentine braces at each corner. The ground storey walling was mostly rebuilt C19 in red brick. Plaintiled roof, hipped at the left-hand (bakehouse) end. In the bakehouse is a chimney of red brick, intruded in C17/C18. The upper floor retains all 10 original diamond-mullioned windows, most being of 4 lights. One has an internal boarded sliding shutter, and most have battened louvres applied externally. Various C19 casements at ground storey. A good original moulded plank entrance door faces the service wing of the house. The 2-bay bakehouse at the left-hand end has a lightly smoke- blackened roof and must formerly have been unfloored. The 2-bay centre cell was probably a dairy with granary above (the upper room still has grain-bins). Open trusses have strongly-cambered tie-beams with cranked arch-braces. Good wind-braced clasped-purlin roof. The upper part of the building is almost totally unaltered and is an excellent example of its type.

Listing NGR: TM0825848915

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 08258 48915

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250947 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 10:00:45.

End of official listing