Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1250963

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Jul-1995



Ordnance survey map of LOWER HOUSE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250963 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 10:41:33.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hampton Bishop

National Grid Reference: SO 53548 40397


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The following building shall be added:

HAMPTON BISHOP TUPSLEY SO 54 SW 765-0/1/10004 Lower House Farmhouse 20/10/52 II Farmhouse. Circa late C16; altered circa mid C19. Timber-framed, mostly roughcast, on stone rubble plinth. Clay plain tile roof with gabled ends with shaped bargeboards. Stone axial and lateral stacks with red brick shafts. PLAN: T-shaped on plan. Comprises a main W-E range with a central lobby entrance against an axial stack with back-to-back fireplaces and a cross-wing at the left [west] end with a large room at the front heated from a lateral stack at the side and a smaller room at the back with a winder staircase in the corner. The bay to the right [east] of the axial stack in the main range was rebuilt in the C19. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 1:3 window south front; gabled cross-wing on left with jettied first floor with ball-shaped pendants at ends. C19 2,3 and 4-light casements with transoms, glazing bars and some leaded panes. Doorway to right of centre with ledged door and open porch with gabled canopy. At rear timber-frame exposed; gabled cross-wing on right with trellis-framing in the gable. Large stone lateral stack on west side. INTERIOR: Exposed wall-framing. Chamfered and ovolo-moulded ceiling beams with stops and chamfered wall-posts with shaped jowls. RCHME records battened door with ornamental strap hinges, another door made from late C16 or early C17 panelling, winder staircase ["probably ancient"] and queen-post roof over the west wing. SOURCE: RCHME, page 87.

Listing NGR: SO5354840397


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 433526

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 87

End of official listing