MADAM TAYLORS COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1250967

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Statutory Address: MADAM TAYLORS COTTAGES, OTHAM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MADAM TAYLORS COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250967 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 03:19:42.

Location

Statutory Address: MADAM TAYLORS COTTAGES, OTHAM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone (District Authority)

Parish: Otham

National Grid Reference: TQ 79791 53698

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OTHAM STREET TQ 75 SE OTHAM (West Side) 3/234 Madam Taylors Cottages 23.5.67 GV II House, formerly cottages, now house. Mid-to-late C16 with later alterations. Restored in 1970's. Timber-framed. Rendered, with exposed principal posts and tension brace to right end of ground floor. Plain tile roof. 5 timber-framed bays, forming 3 rooms on each floor; one single-bay room to left (south) and two 2-bay rooms. Probably originally faced west. 2 storeys. Projecting red and grey brick gable end stacks in English bond, with moulded brick off-sets and chamfered stone bases. Filleted flue to left stack, right flue rebuilt. Plain projecting red and grey brick stack in English bond to present front elevation, at junction of second and third timber-framed bays from left. Short 2-storey rendered wing projecting forwards from left end bay, with hipped plain tile roof. Narrow adjoining but shorter former stair turret between it and front stack. Brick lean-to to most of rest of front elevation. Irregular fenestration of 3 casements; one 2-light to left end wing, one very small single-light to turret, and one 2-light to right end. Panelled door within lean-to. Interior: roll-and-cavetto-moulded cross and axial beams to central ground-floor room (second and third timber-framed bays from left) and heavily-chamfered joists to same area on first floor. Right end room (fourth and fifth timber-framed bays) with less pronounced moulding to cross and axial beams on both floors. 4-centred arched stone ground-floor fireplace to each stack, with similar mouldings, that to central room slightly more ornate and with initials T.H. to spandrels. Painted panelling to right end room, and to part of central room on ground floor. Linenfold panelling in a variety of designs land possibly partly re-positioned) to all four walls of subdivided first floor central room. Initials T.H. possibly refer to Thomas Henley, (d.1590), owner of Gore Court from about 1550 and of other property from 1536.

Listing NGR: TQ7979153698

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 433530

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing