This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

11, BRICK STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 11, BRICK STREET

List entry Number: 1250986

Location

11, BRICK STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Oct-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433548

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTMINSTER BRICK STREET TQ2880SE 1900- /80/10063 (North side) No.11 GV II GV Former stables and coach house, now garaging. 1882-3 by James Brooks for the Marquis of Londonderry. Red brick with rubbed brick and terracotta dressings, slate roof with high stacks on front elevation. Courtyard plan, with carriage entrance in centre of a front elevation intended to provide ground-floor accommodation for the stable hands and a first-floor suite for the coach man. Separate block to right formerly housing loose boxes, with coach house to rear. Narrow range to left originally also stables, now garaging and with extended modern canopy of no interest. Street elevation of seven bays with central carriage entrance under terracotta Gibbs surround with decorated keystone and three-light terracotta oriel. Double doors with decorative ironwork in open panels. Circular window to right, the other fenestration comprises 8 and 12-light sashes under segmental heads with keystone. To rear of this block elaborate Dutch gables with pyramidal tops, that to centre with moulded brick niches and the arms of the Marquis of Londonderry surmounting altered window. Similar gables with ball finials and original glazing to western elevation. One door with elaborate shell hood. interiors retain some teak doors, moulded glazed tilework and cast iron columns. Source The Builder, 17 February 1883, p.207.

Listing NGR: TQ2855380100

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 17 February, (1883), 207

National Grid Reference: TQ 28553 80100

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250986 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 12:49:24.

End of official listing