THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1250996

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1994

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1250996 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 10:39:07.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Nether Compton

National Grid Reference: ST 59583 17534

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:-

NETHER COMPTON The Old Rectory ST5917 1611-0/13/10001 II House, formerly rectory. Circa 1820, extended circa 1860-70. Rendered stone and Hamstone ashlar. Slate hipped roofs with deep eaves. Rendered axial stacks with bracketed cornices. PLAN: Original early C19 house on left [west] has 2 principal front rooms, the left amalgamated with the room behind and the stairhall to the rear centre and right, originally with the main entrance on the right side and a service wing to the rear left. In circa 1860-70 a large cross-wing was built on the right side containing a drawing room at the front and at the back a billiard room and entrance hall with a rear doorway. In the C20 the rear service wing was demolished and a conservatory was added on the left side. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 2:1 bay south front. The original 2-bay house on the left, the bays break forward and have small gables with moulded bargeboards with pierced pendants, 20-pane French casements on ground floor and 16-pane sashes above; stringcourse at first floor cill level. Circa 1860-70 wing on right with moulded stringcourse and eaves cornice, moulded eared window architraves and canted bay window on ground floor; all sashes with margin panes. 3-bay left [east] return with similar first floor windows and French windows on ground floor with margin panes and moulded architraves, consoles and cornices. Verandah at rear of east wing on timber posts and with glazed double doors; original house on right, its rear elevation similar to that at front but with cross mullion-transom windows with glazing bars and small C20 addition at centre of ground floor. INTERIOR: C19 joinery intact. Early C19 open-well staircase with open string, shaped tread ends, stick balusters and veneered mahogany handrail wreathed over curtail. Marble chimneypieces, one in study with reeded architrave with roundels and cast-iron grate with cable-mould architrave. Moulded plaster ceiling cornices. Hall has encaustic floor tiles with Greek key pattern and guilloche border.

Listing NGR: ST5958317534

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 433563

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing