Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251012 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 21:35:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Devon (District Authority)
Stockleigh Pomeroy
National Grid Reference:
SS 87665 03560


STOCKLEIGH POMEROY STOCKLEIGH POMEROY SS 80 SE 10/241 - Church of Saint Mary 26.8.65 GV I

Parish church. C13, extended 1453 and restored 1863 by W White. Red sandstone and volcanic trap. Rubble walls with freestone dressings of volcanic trap, Beerstone and sandstone, dry slate roof laid in bands of different sizes, crested ridge tiles and coped gable ends. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle and south porch. C15 tower of 1 stage with plinth, string under parapet with battlements and square stair turret to east end of north side rising to slightly higher level. West doorway is C19 replacement; C15, 3-light Perpendicular west window with hoodmould over; C15 3- light trefoil headed windows with slate louvres and hoodmoulds to bell storey to east, west and south. C15 north aisle has original C15 Perpendicular 3-light windows of Beerstone, 3 to north wall and 1 to each coped gable end with hoodmould. Chancel projects beyond north aisle and has weathered diagonal corner buttresses and coped gable. C13 walling survives to string level of gable end and retains single lancet to blocked undercroft. 3-stepped lancets over string are C19. South wall of chancel is original to window head level with plinth, 2 volcanic trap lancets and weathered buttress between. South wall of nave greatly rebuilt C19, has 2-light C19 window to left of porch and 3-light C19 window to right, both in late C13 style with hoodmoulds. Porch, late C19 with coped gable and diagonal weathered corner buttresses, has C19 doorway with ordered pointed arch and relieving arch over. Inner south doorway is reconstruction of late Norman doorway incorporating heavy roll moulded jambs and inner arch, bullnosed impost stones and outer arch with alternate billet mouldings. Relieving arch over. C19 arch braced roof. Interior of church: C15 oak waggon roof to north aisle with cavetto and ovolo- moulded ribs and under purlins. C19 crown post and tie beams, arch braced roof to nave. C19 arch braced roof to chancel with moulded corbels. Pointed rubble tower arch with coved impost stones; original oak door to tower stair; painted rear arches to aisle windows; original rear arches to chancel south windows; C19 engaged shafts and rear arches to chancel east windows; C13 trefoil headed piscina in south wall of chancel; Medieval glass in centre light of east window of aisle and fine white limestone C15 standard B (Pevsner) 4-bay arcade with steep 4-centred arches carried on capitals with alternate plant or mermen and sea monster undercut carvings. Fittings: C19 font with quatrefoils, coats of arms and Tudor flower carving; fine C15 Perpendicular oak tower screen (possibly resited rood screen) with standard A (Pevsner) mouldings; some Victorian reconstruction to north end but traces of original paint to original part. Early-mid C17 oak polygonal pulpit on original octagonal goblet base with Renaissance arabesques and carved masks to sides and trailing vine carving to handrail. 15 C16 oak bench ends with Renaissance carvings most with original benches to north aisle; 11 more similar bench ends with Victorian benches to nave and many Victorian copies. In tower a painted board of 1699 with names of benefactors to the poor of the parish since Some simple wall and many C17 and C18 headstones used as flooring including one to Thomas Foxe, sometime Minister of Davidstowe, d.1685 and wife of Obadiah Foxe, Rector of the parish, 1683.

Listing NGR: SS8766603568


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11257/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Pearce. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].