This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List entry Number: 1251034

Location

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, ST OSWALDS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 24-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433603

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALL ST OSWALDS NY 96 NW 4/364 Church of St Oswald (previously listed as 15.4.69 Church of St Oswald- in-Lee)

GV II

Parish church; on medieval site, rebuilt 1737 and remodelled with addition of porch 1887 by W S Hicks. Squared roughly -tooled stone with rusticated quoins at southern angles, and ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof, except for stone slates on porch. Rectangular plan with south porch; west end is vestry, with nave/vestry division wall carrying C19 bellcote. C19 work in simple Perpendicular style. South elevation 5 bays, the 2nd with projecting porch; diagonal buttresses, boarded double doors in double-chamfered arch with small 2-light window over; coped gable with finial cross. Nave windows square-headed of 2 trefoil-headed lights, with lead-latticed glazing; between eastern bays a sundial dated 1737 with moulded cornice and base. Coped gables, the western with small corniced stack. Ridge bellcote has ogee-headed opening under gabled coping with trefoiled kneelers, and finial cross. Finial cross on east gable. East end shows C19 3-light window; north and west walls plain; 2 large stepped buttresses on north. Interior: Porch has stone benches, south door wave-moulded pointed arch. No nave/chancel division. Boarded dado; sill of east window lowered to form reredos. 6-bay roof of late C18/early C19: principal-rafter trusses with collars, braces and struts; tie-beams replaced by iron rods. One C18 hatchment. Carved C12 corbel built into north wall. Roman altar with later socket for cross shaft. The church is built on the site of the Battle of Heavenfield in 634, when King Oswald of Northumbria defeated Cadwalla.

Listing NGR: NY9369669560

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 93696 69560

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251034 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 07:07:27.

End of official listing