GROUP OF 18 MONUMENTS ON SOUTH SIDE OF SOUTH AISLE AND TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251061
Date first listed:
07-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 18 MONUMENTS ON SOUTH SIDE OF SOUTH AISLE AND TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 18 MONUMENTS ON SOUTH SIDE OF SOUTH AISLE AND TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251061 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 00:02:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 18 MONUMENTS ON SOUTH SIDE OF SOUTH AISLE AND TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 19414 42130

Details

AIREBOROUGH CHURCH STREET SE 14 SE LS 20 (south side), Guiseley 10A/45 Group of 18 monuments - on south side of south aisle and transept of Church of St. Oswald GV II

Group of 17 monuments and one medieval stone coffin, being all those east of the porch and on the south side of the aisle and transept, and on the north side of the path, except 4 of C19 or C20 date (2 at each end of this plot), which are not included in the item. The group includes six tomb chests as follows:-

(a) Mary Lambert (d.1718): fully lettered, including 2 verses, one in Latin. (b) Elizabeth Dinsdale ld.1791)1 panelled sides. (c) John Marshall (d.1786): fielded panel sides, shouldered-panel lid with winged heads of angels in spandrels. (d) Mrs. Rachel Price (d.1813): housekeeper to Joshua Crompton Esquire of Esholt Hall for 27 years. (e) Four children of Thomas Strether (d.1729 et seq.): sides of large chiselled blocks, with dripmould, fully lettered lid with small angel heads in corners. (f) Richard Clayton (d.1801): fluted pilasters to side panels, which have roundels with radial patterns; lid similar to that of (c) above eleven slabs as follows:-

(g) Mary Marshall (d.1711): set vertically against transept wall; cursive lettering, partly restored. (h) (identity illegible) dated 1687: immediately west of (c) above; primitive capitals, incised heart-pattern. (i) Jeremiah Marshall (d.1702): between (b) and (c) above; large cursive lettering. (j) Richard Gibson (d.1706): worn; simple incised margin. (k) Mary Hartley (d.1717) ) (1) Mary Marshall (d.1709) ) group of 3, side by side, all finely (m) Tobias Marshall (d.1706) ) lettered. (n) Elizabeth Hainworth (1707): arched surround, crossed bones on primitive imposts to arch, winged angel heads in spandrels. (o) Ann Marshall (d.1714): raised decorated initial "H" in sunk panel, foliated band at head (p) Ann Marshall (d.1708): simple incised margin. (q) Jeremiah Coupe (1706): good lettering, incised margin with scrolled corners and a medieval stone coffin without a lid, hewn from single block, and of tapering shape shouldered inside (presumably ex situ).

Listing NGR: SE1941442130

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433653
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/15457/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Krystyna Szulecka. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].