This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GROUP OF 6 MONUMENTS IN CORNER OF PATHS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GROUP OF 6 MONUMENTS IN CORNER OF PATHS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List entry Number: 1251062

Location

GROUP OF 6 MONUMENTS IN CORNER OF PATHS APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Apr-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433654

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AIREBOROUGH CHURCH STREET SE 14 SE LS 20 (south side), Guiseley 10A/46 Group of 6 - monuments in corner of paths approx. 10 metres south-east of Church of St. Oswald GV II

Group of six monuments, comprising two tomb chests dated 1720 and 1715, one headstone dated 1718, and three slabs dated 1680, 1740 and 1717. All sandstone. Both tomb chests have sides of large rectangular blocks, finely- lettered lids with the initial letters "H" and the dates in raised decorated lettering set in sunk panels, that to Richard Driver (d.1720) with a moulded edge, and that to Joseph Driver (d.1715) with border of 2 incised lines scrolled outwards at the corners. Headstone to David Rhodes (d. 1718), very close to west end of the latter tomb chest, is round-arched and shouldered, and has a moulded surround with a roundel at the head enclosing a flower, and elegant lettering. To the north and slightly east of these: memorial slab to William Baildon (d.1680), with incised lettering all in capitals, a large sunk shield at the foot, displaying 3 fleur de lys and flanked by raised decorated initials "W" "B" in sunk panels, and a broad border of consecutive scrolls; immediately next to the north side of this, slab to Anthony Smith (d.1740), with raised date in sunk panel, border of 2 incised lines scrolled outwards at the corners; and approx. 3 metres south-east of these, slab to John Pollard (d.1717), similar in style to the lids of the two tomb chests described above.

Listing NGR: SE1943142127

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 19431 42127

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251062 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 01:53:59.

End of official listing