MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L167 AT TL 3777 0112

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251073
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1993
Statutory Address:
MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L167 AT TL 3777 0112

Map

Ordnance survey map of MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L167 AT TL 3777 0112
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 19:51:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L167 AT TL 3777 0112

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Epping Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Waltham Abbey
National Grid Reference:
TL 37770 01120

Details

ROYAL GUNPOWDER FACTORY TL3700 3/10008 MOD Building L167 at TL 3777 0112 GV II

Charcoal store, later converted into Reel Drying Stove. 1889, converted c1898. Flemish bond yellow brick with hipped roof. Rectangular plan: originally of 9 x 2 bays, with 7-bay room to north of 2-bay south end; truncated by removal of south room. One storey. Chamfered brick plinth, stepped brick cornice and chamfered abaci to pilasters which separate bays, each spanned by segmental arches over cast-iron framed windows and double doors to west elevation. Other elevations articulated in similar style. Blocked round openings indicate the position of entry for steam pipes. Interior noted as having iron roof trusses. Significant for its association with the manufacture of cordite, which Waltham had pioneered and which in the 1890s took over as the main services explosive. The incorporating mills (qv) switched over from the manufacture of gunpowder to cordite in 1898/9. The drying stove represents the next stage in the manufacturing process after pressing, when cordite was taken here to dry on racks before it was taken to the reeling house for winding. (RCHME report, 1993).

Listing NGR: TL3777001120

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
352181
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Royal Gunpowder Factory Waltham Abbey A Survey, (1994)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03632/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Simpson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].