STATUE AND TOMB 15 METRES NORTH OF ST JAMES CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251087
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1993
Statutory Address:
STATUE AND TOMB 15 METRES NORTH OF ST JAMES CHURCH, B1246

Map

Ordnance survey map of STATUE AND TOMB 15 METRES NORTH OF ST JAMES CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251087 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 06:58:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
STATUE AND TOMB 15 METRES NORTH OF ST JAMES CHURCH, B1246

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Warter
National Grid Reference:
SE 86982 50545

Details

SE 85 SE WARTER B1246 (north side)

550-/6/10001 Statue and Tomb 15 metres north of St. James Church

II

Tomb with lead statue. 1910 by Gilbert Bayes. White marble, with a lead figure. Rectangular grave tomb with square corner piers and low ramped defining walls, stepped and ramped to the west with a square pier with Doric columns. The east front bears the inscription "TO THE LOVING MEMORY OF MY HUSBAND CHARLES HENRY, FIRST BARON OF NUNBURNHOLME. BORN 1833. DIED 1907. THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED BY HIS WIFE."Above a life size allegorical figure holding a wreath and with scroll at the base inscribed with a latin motto, signed Gilbert Bayes, 1909. This is an extremely fine example of the work of this important Romantic sculptor.

Listing NGR: SE8698250545

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355223
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05034/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Pierce. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].