MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L136 AT TL 3764 0142

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251099

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1993

Statutory Address: MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L136 AT TL 3764 0142

Map

Ordnance survey map of MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L136 AT TL 3764 0142
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251099 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 05:16:25.

Location

Statutory Address: MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L136 AT TL 3764 0142

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Waltham Abbey

National Grid Reference: TL 37640 01420

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROYAL GUNPOWDER FACTORY TL3700 3/10005 MOD Building L136 at TL 3764 0142 GV II

Remote accumulator tower. 1879. English bond brick; flat C20 concrete roof. Square plan. 3 storeys. Blind panel and remains of 2 blocked windows to each elevation; stone plaque to southern elevation with inscription "RGPF VR 1879". Inserted floors, staircase and enlarged windows associated with mid C20 conversion to offices. This building was built as a remote accumulator serving the accumulator in L149 (qv), and represents the expansion of a centralised hydraulic network which provided power to press and moulding houses in the north part of the site. (RCHME report, 1993).

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352183

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Royal Gunpowder Factory Waltham Abbey A Survey, (1994)

End of official listing