FORMER NUMBERS 14 AND 15 (NOW PART OF NUMBER 16)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251114
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1995
Statutory Address:
FORMER NUMBERS 14 AND 15 (NOW PART OF NUMBER 16), 16, BELL YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER NUMBERS 14 AND 15 (NOW PART OF NUMBER 16)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251114 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 00:27:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER NUMBERS 14 AND 15 (NOW PART OF NUMBER 16), 16, BELL YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31111 81203

Details

BELL YARD TQ 3181 SW (east side) 1900-/61/10042 Former nos. 14 and 15 (now part of no. 16) GV II Offices, c. 1878, probably by William Elsdon. Stone facade to brick building; rectangular plan, three bays wide and two rooms deep; five storeys with slate roof Ground floor has complete timber shop frontof two lightseither side fo central modern door (now numbered no.16 and serving adjacent premises also), with iron lozenge panes. First floor has single central window under pediment, whilst those either side have consoles and are made tripartite by the insertion of iron columns; all have enriched foliate capitals on stone columns. This pattern of fenestration is repeated on the second floor but with console brackets instead of an order, while the third-floor fenestration is unadorned under projecting eaves cornice. Attic storey with simpler cornice above. Interior retains original lift in iron cage at centre ofstairwell. Ground floor has egg and dart cornices to principal spaces and lift lobby.

Listing NGR: TQ3111381196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433733
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04280/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Burns. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].