FORMER LAW FIRE INSURANCE OFFICE NUMBER 16 (EXCLUDING THE FORMER NUMBERS 13 AND 14/15)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1251120
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1970
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Jan-1995
Statutory Address:
FORMER LAW FIRE INSURANCE OFFICE, 114, CHANCERY LANE WC2
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 16 (EXCLUDING THE FORMER NUMBERS 13 AND 14/15), 16, BELL YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER LAW FIRE INSURANCE OFFICE
NUMBER 16 (EXCLUDING THE FORMER NUMBERS 13 AND 14/15)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:51:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER LAW FIRE INSURANCE OFFICE, 114, CHANCERY LANE WC2
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 16 (EXCLUDING THE FORMER NUMBERS 13 AND 14/15), 16, BELL YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31116 81213

Details

TQ 3181 SW CHANCERY LANE WC2 (west side) 1900/7/63 No. 114 (former Law Insurance Office) (including No.16 BELL Yard) 26.1.70

GV II*

The former offices of the Law Fire Insurance Company. 1858-9 by Thomas Bellamy, extended to Bell Yard by him in 1874-6. Portland stone facades with brick internal walls, presumably incorporating some iron. Rectangular plan with two central lightwells. Three storeys and basement, with inserted mezzanine to ground-floor of No. 114. Rusticated and battered stone facade to Chancery Lane is three windows wide, with central engaged Doric portico, corniced first-floor windows in architraves, with band to set-back upper floor under heavy moulded cornice and parapet. Sash windows and double panelled door under top light. The original rear facade survives in part within the lightwell. It has three round-topped glazed arches, corniced first floor windows in architrave surrounds and a parapet topped by urns. The name 'RE INSURANCE OFFICE' survives. Present facade to Bell Yard also of three bays, the ground floor with enriched, round-arched windows, the doorway now disused. In spandrels motifs of a fireman's helmet and axes, between rosettes. Short return screens with pilasters rise each side to bracketed cornice under first floor. First floor windows have sashes with glazing bars under heavy console brackets and within moulded architraves. Second floor with architraved windows and rosettes under modillion eaves cornice.

The interior remains impressive. The ground-floor of No. 114 Chancery Lane has been subdivided; heavy cornices survive on the mezzanine. Fine stair with sinuous curving handrail and an iron balustrade of Ionic columns rises to the top. (Historic) first floor landing with screen of huge Ionic columns (whose bases appear on lower floors) and balustrade in antis between Ionic pilasters. Trabeated ceiling. Board room with fireplace, trebeated ceiling and modillion cornice. No. 16 Bell Yard with stair to side: a straight flight with curly iron balustrade rises to first floor, whilst to the upper floor the stair has timber balusters with heavy fluted newels.



Listing NGR: TQ3113381220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433741
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04280/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Burns. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].