2 RAISED SLABS TO JOHN CURTIS DATED 1728 AND SARAH BARRAS DATED 1728 SET APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES SOUTH OF LARGE TREE APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES DUE SOUTH OF PORCH TO ST MARYS CHURCH GROUP OF 2 CHEST TOMBS TO WILLIAM WILSON DATES 1728 AND THE 5 CHILDREN OF JOHN LEAKES DATED 1729 AND...

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251122
Date first listed:
17-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
2 RAISED SLABS TO JOHN CURTIS DATED 1728 AND SARAH BARRAS DATED 1728 SET APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES SOUTH OF LARGE TREE APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES DUE SOUTH OF PORCH TO ST MARYS CHURCH, DEWSBURY ROAD
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 2 CHEST TOMBS TO WILLIAM WILSON DATES 1728 AND THE 5 CHILDREN OF JOHN LEAKES DATED 1729 AND..., DEWSBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2 RAISED SLABS TO JOHN CURTIS DATED 1728 AND SARAH BARRAS DATED 1728 SET APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES SOUTH OF LARGE TREE APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES DUE SOUTH OF PORCH TO ST MARYS CHURCH
GROUP OF 2 CHEST TOMBS TO WILLIAM WILSON DATES 1728 AND THE 5 CHILDREN OF JOHN LEAKES DATED 1729 AND...
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 06:00:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
2 RAISED SLABS TO JOHN CURTIS DATED 1728 AND SARAH BARRAS DATED 1728 SET APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES SOUTH OF LARGE TREE APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES DUE SOUTH OF PORCH TO ST MARYS CHURCH, DEWSBURY ROAD
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 2 CHEST TOMBS TO WILLIAM WILSON DATES 1728 AND THE 5 CHILDREN OF JOHN LEAKES DATED 1729 AND..., DEWSBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27170 25029

Details

SE22NE WF12 DEWSBURY ROAD MORLEY (east side), Woodkirk

2/81 Group of 2 chest tombs to William Wilson dated 1728 and the 5 children of John Leakes, dated 1729 and 2 raised slabs to John Curris dated 1728 and Sarah Barras dated 1728, set approx 5m south of large tree approx 10m due south of porch to St. Mary's Church

GV II

2 chest tombs and 2 raised slabs. Dated 1728 and 1729. Ashlar. Chest tomb on chamfered plinth with finely-carved grave slab inscribed " William Wilson of Haigh Hall " who died 28th February 1728 aged 65. Has carved border and arched head with winged-head angel spandrels.

Chest tomb with panelled base with raised-and-fielded panels and fluted pilasters to corners. Inscribed: " HERE Lyeth Interred ye Bodies of five Children of John Leake of Westerton John dyd September ye 6th 1729 in ye 5th Year of his Age Also Margaret aged 2, William aged 8, John aged 5. " Set in arched head with carved trumpeting angels in the spandrels. Grave slab commemorating " John Curtis of Haigh Manor " who died 22nd August 1728 aged 22. Finely-carved border with arched head with winged-head angel spandrels and carved heart with date. Grave slab commemorating " Sarah the wife of Thomas Barras of Upper Green " who died 22nd January 1728 aged 38. Finely-carved border with arched head with winged-head angel spandrels and carved heart with date.

Listing NGR: SE2717025029

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433744
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2007
Reference: IOE01/16977/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].