This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1251156



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433786

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 3081 SE 1900-/60/10076 LINCOLN'S INN FIELDS H M Land Registry Building II Government Office Building. Built for H.M. Land Registry in two phases: west wing and centre 1903-5; east wing 1912-13, to the designs produced by the Office of Works under Sir Henry Tanner; Richard Allison was the supervising architect. Design conceived by the Land Registrar Sir Charles Fortescue-Brickdale based on Blickling Hall, Norfolk.

Stancliffe stone, Tucker's red brick, slate roof. Floors reinforced with steel joists. Rectangular plan with internal lightwells. Neo-Jacobean style with shaped gables and French-style corner turrets with steep slate roofs and lanterns. Six storeys high, nine bays wide; seven bays to Portugal Street return. Central projecting bay has main entrance on raised ground floor and canted bay running from first to third floor surmounted by stone balustrade. This feature is repeated on outer turret bays. Mullion and transom windows throughout with six-paned metal casements. Carved modillion cornices above top storey windows. Carved cartouches between first and second storey windows and on stone turret parapets. Carved Royal Coat of Arms in central gable. String course wraps right around the building at first floor level. Vertical divisions between bays articulated by lead downpipes. Entrance porch formed by paired columns supporting entablature; frieze inscribed LAND REGISTRY.

Interior: of principal interest is the entrance hall, panelled with marbled columns and the Chief Registrar's room on first floor above the entrance, panelled with integral classical fire surround.

Listing NGR: TQ3090181308

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 30901 81308


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251156 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 07:25:10.

End of official listing