MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L145 (GROUP F INCORPORATING MILLS)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251164

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1993

Statutory Address: MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L145 (GROUP F INCORPORATING MILLS)

Map

Ordnance survey map of MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L145 (GROUP F INCORPORATING MILLS)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251164 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 01:35:33.

Location

Statutory Address: MINISTRY OF DEFENCE BUILDING L145 (GROUP F INCORPORATING MILLS)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Waltham Abbey

National Grid Reference: TL 37667 01338

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROYAL GUNPOWDER FACTORY TL3700 3/10018 MOD Building L145 (Group F Incorporating Mills) GV II

Gunpowder Incorporating Mills. 1878, converted for cordite incorporation c1898-9. English bond yellow brick with hipped slate roofs to Engine House and Boiler House; cross wings have brick walls separating the bays which continue as coped gables breaking through the felt and slate roof; mid C20 replacement walling to originally wood and canvas side walls. T-plan: central Engine House with Boiler House at east end and 3-bay cross wings on its north and south sides for gunpowder incorporating mills. One storey, with taller Engine House to centre. Chamfered brick plinth and brick dentil cornice to Engine House and Boiler House. Engine House has paired segmental-arched windows set in recessed panels to upper part of east and west elevations. Boiler house of 4 x 1 bays has inserted mid C20 windows to each bay; gauged red brick semi-circular arch over east door. Interior similar to other incorporating mills, although more altered and lacking the original gearing machinery beneath the cross wing floors. The most altered of an important group of incorporating mills, the plan being closely modelled on the earlier (1861) Group C Incorporating Mills, Building L157 (qv). (RCHME report, 1993).

Listing NGR: TL3766701338

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 433797

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Royal Gunpowder Factory Waltham Abbey A Survey, (1994)

End of official listing