Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251233.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:21:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 08195 46856


FLOWTON TM 04 NE 6/110 Church of St. Mary 9.12.55 - I

Church, mediaeval. Nave, chancel, south porch, west tower. Mainly flint rubble walling with freestone dressings and massive buttressing. Plaintiled roofs. An unusually complete example of an early C14 parish church, with a little alteration of later C14 and c.1500. Simple 2-light Y-traceried side windows and hood-moulded nave doorways, in some cases with mask drip-moulds. Both nave and chancel have good and complete early C14 roofs; long octagonal crownposts with moulded capitals ana square-sectioned 4-way braces; tie-beams, arch-braces, wallposts and cornices are all moulded. The south porch has a moulded arched Oak doorway of early C14, but was reroofed in C17 and repaired in red brick in C20. The tower has a moulded south doorway and quatrefoil ringing chamber windows; flanking the C14 west window are late C14/C15 image niches, with just the stools remaining. A gallery in the tower is C14/C15, extended past the tower arch in C18. From the gallery rises a rare C14/C15 timber stair with triangular block treads. the tower top stage was demolished in C18 (faculty given 1747) and a pyramid roof constructed behind brick parapets partly from the original bellframe (the remainder was adapted for a single bell). Large east window of later C14 with reticulated tracery. Other C14 features includes shafted chancel arch, a plain piscina and a fragment of red abstract painting on the south nave wall. C1500, a large 3-light window and rood loft stair turret were inserted both using red brick (bequest for painting candlebeam 1510). Octagonal C13 font with splayed bowl, each face with shallow arcading; C17 Oak cover with ramped scrolls. In the chancel floor are ledger slabs of 1612 and 1649, in the nave are two more of 1643 and 1646.

Listing NGR: TM0819546856


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02057/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].