FORMER LAMBETH MAGISTRATES' COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251239

Date first listed: 09-Nov-1993

Statutory Address: FORMER LAMBETH MAGISTRATES' COURT, RENFREW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER LAMBETH MAGISTRATES' COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251239 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 13:01:17.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER LAMBETH MAGISTRATES' COURT, RENFREW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lambeth (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 31630 78681

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

RENFREW ROAD TQ 3198 (east side) 963-/5/10018 Former Lambeth Magistrates' Court

II

Former Criminal Magistrates court. Built in 1869 by Thomas Charles Sorby, 1836-1924, in Gothic style. Some heightening to north front in 1930s. Built of red brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings and slate roof. Asymmetrical building, varying between 1 and 3 storeys with irregular fenestration of mainly mullioned and transomed casements. Comprises Magistrates Court and Offices to north and Cell Block to south. Entrance front to west is mainly of one storey with brick parapet containing three bands of arched fretted balustrading. To north is one bay of two storeys. Ground floor has three mullioned and transomed casements with arched heads. Northernmost window is linked by tiled panel and hood moulding with boss to first floor window with mullioned and transomed window of two lights. Dogtooth cornice above and gable with stone kneelers. Centre of ground floor projects with "18 AD 69" above central window and Royal Coat of Arms in gabled surround above. On each side of the central window are an arched doorcase with two arched fanlights. Plank doors with elaborate hinges. to the extreme north is an arched doorcase with fretted balustrading above. North front has a second floor mainly heightened in the 1930s. 4;7;5 mullioned windows, some with Caernarvon arches. One storey vestibule of one bay to the north east. East front has three double cinquefoil-headed lights to Court. To the south is a two storey cell block with four small mullioned windows. Interior has Entrance Hall with chamfered oak beams to roof and well staircase and original panelled doors. Court has hipped boarded roof and retains all the original fittings including wooden canopy, dock and panelled benches. Subsidiary staircase with turned balusters to rear. Half-tiled corridors. Some C19 fireplaces. Unaltered cells, some with Victorian sanitary fittings. This is the earliest surviving example of a Criminal Magistrates Court in the Metropolitan area. (Pevsner Ed BOE London South P369.)

Listing NGR: TQ3163078681

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 433889

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 369

End of official listing