PAIR OF MILLS HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF THE NAVE OF THE CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251249
Date first listed:
24-Aug-1990
Statutory Address:
PAIR OF MILLS HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF THE NAVE OF THE CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PAIR OF MILLS HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF THE NAVE OF THE CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251249 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 21:27:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
PAIR OF MILLS HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF THE NAVE OF THE CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A BECKET, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Parish:
Capel
National Grid Reference:
TQ 63734 44501

Details

TQ 64 SW 5/231

CAPEL, CHURCH LANE, Pair of Mills headstones approx 9m south of the nave of the Church of St Thomas A Becket

GV II

Pair of adjacent headstones. Both late C18 in memory of members of the Mills family. Both upright slabs of sandstone. The northern one stands approx 1.25m high and its shaped head is enriched with scrolls and is carved with a child reading a book. The inscription begins in Gothic lettering but most is Roman serif upper and lower case lettering and records the death of William Mills in 1771. Alongside a simpler stone with a shaped head standing approx 800mm high. It is inscribed in Roman serif upper and lower case lettering and records the death of 4-year old William Mills in 1780.

Listing NGR: TQ6382444536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
433904
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06966/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ray Hawkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].