This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1251257

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Broughton Gifford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Nov-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 433834

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROUGHTON GIFFORD THE STREET ST 86 SE (west side) 4/87 Church of St Mary 13.11.62 GV I

Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1878 by G.G. Scott. Rubble stone and limestone ashlar, stone slate roof with coped verges and cross finials. Nave, north aisle and south chapel, chancel, west tower and south porch. South porch attached to west end of C14 south chapel, pointed moulded doorway with cusped crocketed image niche and bolection-moulded tablet over, diagonal buttresses to left, aisle to right has cusped lancet with pedimented tablet over, 3-light Perpendicular window to right, angle buttresses and 3-light, square-headed window to east end. Chancel has cusped square-headed light, trefoil headed doorway and cusped square-headed 2-light window, projection to left for rood loft stairs, east end of chancel has C19 three-light Perpendicular style window, north side has 2-light Perpendicular-style window. North aisle extended to east 1870s, large and small 3-light Perpendicular windows, blocked moulded pointed north doorway, 3- light recessed chamfered mullioned casement to right, lean-to vestry at west end. Good cast-iron rainwater goods with moulded decoration. Three-stage C15 west tower has diagonal buttresses, string courses, Tudor-arched west door with hoodmould and 3-light Perpendicular window over, chamfered arrowloop to middle stage, square stair turret on north side with arrowloops and battlemented parapet, south side of tower has arrowloop to middle stage, sundials on buttress to right, bellstage with 2-light Perpendicular pointed windows with pierced decorative louvres, string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet, pyramidal tiled roof with stone finial. Interior: porch has 2-bay original roof with arch-braced collar truss and curved windbraces, Tudor-arched doorway to winding stone stairs to former upper floor, Tudor-arched inner doorway with C19 ribbed door, fixed stone benches. Nave has C19 braced collar- rafter roof, polygonal tiled floor. Double chamfered tower arch with early C20 carved screen by David Burry. Early C14 south aisle has 2-bay double chamfered pointed arcade on octagonal piers, good 2-bay roof with arch-braced collar rafters and runner with moulded soffits and bosses, cusped ogee piscina on south side, winding stone newel stairs at east end to former rood. C13 north arcade with double chamfered arches and cylindrical piers, good roof similar to south aisle, squints at east end of both aisles. Chancel with C19 pointed barrel-vaulted ceiling with ribbed panels, tie-beam with brattishing, polychrome tiled floor, moulded trefoiled piscina on south wall, C17 communion table, brass and iron communion rail. Other fittings: C19 pews throughout, C13 cylindrical font bowl in tower, C19 stone polygonal pulpit with richly carved arcading and compound base. Some fragments of Medieval stained glass in north east aisle window. Monuments in Lady Chapel include scrolled pedimented tablet to Henry Harding died 1774, classical marble tablets to Isaac Dark died 1818, to Stephen Dark died 1815 and to William Curtis died 1806. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8780263128

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: ST 87798 63127

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251257 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 10:36:32.

End of official listing