BARN APPROXIMATELY 33 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF VERULAMIUM MUSEUM (NOT INCLUDED)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251277

Date first listed: 13-May-1988

Statutory Address: BARN APPROXIMATELY 33 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF VERULAMIUM MUSEUM (NOT INCLUDED), ST MICHAEL'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN APPROXIMATELY 33 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF VERULAMIUM MUSEUM (NOT INCLUDED)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251277 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 10:52:48.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN APPROXIMATELY 33 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF VERULAMIUM MUSEUM (NOT INCLUDED), ST MICHAEL'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 13672 07253

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following shall be added:

ST MICHAEL'S STREET (South side) TL 1307 7/330 Barn approx. 33m SSE of Verulamium Museum (not II included)

Barn . Mid C18. C20 weatherboarding over timber frame set on brick plinth; gabled and old (mid C18 to mid C19) plain tile roof. 6-bay plan, with threshing floor in second bay from right. Gabled porch to front, with outshut to right; C20 windows have been inserted in the double doors of the porch; C20 double doors to rear. Interior: the timber framing is divided, by a middle rail set between the wall posts, into two panels per bay length, with diagonal bracing from post to rail; some mid C19 machine - sawn timbers are included amongst the timber-framed studding of the walls. Unjowled posts with diagonal bracing support the 6-bay common-rafter roof (split oak rafters): each truss has an upper collar, and angled struts from tie beam to clasped purlins; the end bays and the threshing floor bay have windbraces. The outshut to the right of the porch probably served as a store for implements and retains some C18 weatherboarding with lapped joints. Partition to left of threshing floor is made of mid C19 machine-sawn timbers but probably occupies the position of an original partition. The barn stood on the east side of the foldyard of St Germain's Farm, documented since the C16. A map of 1766 shows a building on the site of the barn.

Listing NGR: TL1367207253

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 163519

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing