NUMBER 27 INCLUDING GATES AND GATEPIERS ADJOINING SOUTH SIDE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251301
Date first listed:
01-Aug-1991
Statutory Address:
NUMBER 27 INCLUDING GATES AND GATEPIERS ADJOINING SOUTH SIDE, 27, HOLYWELL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 27 INCLUDING GATES AND GATEPIERS ADJOINING SOUTH SIDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251301 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 05:57:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBER 27 INCLUDING GATES AND GATEPIERS ADJOINING SOUTH SIDE, 27, HOLYWELL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 14671 06965

Details

The following buildings shall be added:-

TL 1406 NE HOLYWELL HILL

14/333 No 27 (Including gates and gatepiers adjoining south side)

GV II

Offices. 1910-11 by Percival C. Blow for Messrs Ryder and Sons, seed and bulb merchants. English bond red brick with stone dressings and granite ashlar plinth. Plain tile hipped roof behind parapet. Double depth plan with central entrance hall with stair-well behind 4 main offices flanking at front and rear. Combination of Arts and Crafts and Wrenaissance styles. 2 storeys and basement. Symmetrical 1:3:1 bay west front with stone modillion cornice continuing around projecting end bays which have banded pilasters with wreaths in their friezes and slightly bowed 4-light stone mullion transom first and second floor windows with leaded panes; between the first and second floor windows large carved stone reliefs depicting agricultural scenes of ploughing, sewing and harvesting with large figures of a god and goddess. At centre steps to stone portico with composite half-column panel in frieze dated 1911 and segmented pediment containing fielded panel double doors and overlight; flanked by stone cross-mullion-transom, windows with keystones in flat brick arches: band above and 3 first floor bullseye window with moulded terracotta festoons. Including gateway and adjoining right (south) with stone banded brick piers on granite plinths and with moulded caps and ornate cast-iron double gates to carriageway with balusters and geometric patterns. Interior: largely unaltered and containing many original features including:- Entrance lobby with vaulted tiled ceiling and pilastered and pedimented mahogany screen. Staircase with mahogany balustrade with wreathed handrail and moulded balusters. Stairs, landing and central first floor office lit by domes with leaded stained glass panes and with moulded trailing vine pilaster- work on walls. Front right hand first floor office has mahogany chimneypiece with segmental pedimented overmantel containing arms. Note: built by local builders Miskins for Samuel Ryder, the seed merchant. He became mayor of St Albans in 1905 and a deacon of Trinity. Ryder was the presenter of the Ryder Cup, the Great Britain Versus U.S. golf tournament trophy. Buried under the foundations is a Bottle containing packets of seeds, a seed catalogue and a history of the firm.

Listing NGR: TL1467106965

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163532
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/01998/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Fletcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].