FORMER DARTFORD UNION WORKHOUSE BUILDINGS TO REAR AND NORTH EAST OF RANGE FRONTING WEST HILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251334

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: FORMER DARTFORD UNION WORKHOUSE BUILDINGS TO REAR AND NORTH EAST OF RANGE FRONTING WEST HILL, WEST HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER DARTFORD UNION WORKHOUSE BUILDINGS TO REAR AND NORTH EAST OF RANGE FRONTING WEST HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251334 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 13:22:59.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER DARTFORD UNION WORKHOUSE BUILDINGS TO REAR AND NORTH EAST OF RANGE FRONTING WEST HILL, WEST HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dartford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 53732 74189

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5274 WEST HILL (North Side) Former Dartford Union Workhouse Buildings to rear and N.E of range fronting West Hill TQ 57 SW SP/564

II G.V

2. Workhouse buildings. Circa 1838; their mid C19 function shown clearly on O.S map of 1868; some later C19 and C20 alterations. Yellow stock brick walls. Slate hipped roofs; brick stacks. Sash windows and pivot windows. Attached to each other by C19 brick walls. Range comprising former Able Womens' Hall and Lying-in ward on NE: two storeys. Overhanging eaves. 8 ground floor sash windows with vertical glazing bars and two doorways. Ten iron pivot windows to first floor. Flights of stone steps in centre and at SE end. Centre spine range comprising former cook house and master's buildings: two storeys. East elevation: from N. end: 3 sash windows above 3 ground floor iron pivot windows; three sash windows above and below. Former master's kitchen and pantry with two first floor sashes, and C19 slate-roofed lean-to verandah on iron columns against ground floor, the last with French casement, sash window and 6 panel door. West elevation: similar verandah and fenestration. Rounded south end comprising former master's residence with sash window with glazing bars above and below in front and to each side; stone flags on ground in front of rounded end. North range comprising former chapel: to rear of and flanking the centre spine wing. Workhouse chapel housed in 3 storey range until new detached chapel opened 1878. Five ground and first floor windows to each side of spine wing; 6 second floor window openings. Overhanging eaves. End doorways in front of internal stone staircases. N.W range comprising former Able Men's Hall and Accident ward: 3 storeys. Mostly pivot windows in slightly cambered heads, seven on ground floor, 5 on both 1st and second floors, and one modern first floor window.

Listing NGR: TQ5371874147

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434015

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing