Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of GLEBE COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251342 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 15:47:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 82853 08538



Cottage, former church house. C17, renovated circa 1938. Plastered cob on rubble footings; rubble stacks with C20 brick tops; thatched roof. L-shaped house with 2- room main block facing south-west. Rear kitchen/service wing at right angles behind hall, the right (south-eastern) front room. Axial stack to front block serving back-to-back fireplaces and axial stack to rear block. Newel stair projects to rear of hall in angle of 2 wings. 2 storeys. Balanced but not symmetrical front; 2 windows to first floor, 4 to ground floor. All circa 1938 casements with small rectangular panes of leaded glass and narrow margin panes, except casement with glazing bars at left end. Left first floor window has thatched gable over and right window has thatched eyebrow over. C20 door to left room with gabled and thatch- roofed porch with open framed sides on low rubble footings. Stone buttress to right probably blocking C17 lobby entrance. Roof gable-ended to left and hipped to right. Outer side of crosswing has similar circa 1938 casements with leaded glass. Interior: Hall to right of front block has C17 crossbeam with chamfer and straight cut stops, half beam against chimney breast is chamfered with scroll stops and rubble fireplace lintel also soffit-chamfered with scroll stops. Possibly C18 cupboard in rear wall alongside C17 stair door; an oak plank and ledge door with strap hinges hung in a solid frame with slight chamfered surround. Stone newel stair with oak treads. Left front room has blocked fireplace and replacement crossbeam. Rear block room has C18 chamfered and runout stopped crossbeam and rubble fireplace with chamfered and worn step stopped oak lintel. Both roofs have A- frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars, but scantling smaller in possibly later rear wing.

Listing NGR: SS8285308538


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00150/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Woodhead. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].