CHURCH OF ST PHILIP

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1251364
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PHILIP
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251364 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 20:52:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Rollright
National Grid Reference:
SP 29353 30125

Details

ROLLRIGHT LITTLE ROLLRIGHT SP23SE 1/139 Church of St. Philip 27/08/57

GV II*

Church. Chancel probably early C13, altered C15; nave C16; tower built (or rebuilt) 1617 for William Blower. Limestone ashlar, coursed squared marlstone with limestone-ashiar dressings, and some render; concrete plain-tile roofs. Chancel, nave, west tower and south porch. Rendered chancel retains shallow C13 buttresses but has fine 3-light C15 windows to south, with 4-centre-arched heads, Perpendicular drop tracery and scrolled hood stops; a further 3-light window to east has lozenge stops and is set within a casement moulding. Ashlar south wall of nave has a wide square-headed 5-light window with arched lights, hollow-chamfered mullions and recessed spandrels; the label mould has lozenge stops. The south doorway and the entrance to the small porch have shallow chamfered Tudor arches. Marlstone tower, with stepped diagonal buttresses and a crenellated parapet with small corner pinnacles, has a west window of 2 arched hollow-chamfered lights below a label and has similar bell-chamber openings; a wall tablet, framed by Ionic columns, has a shield of arms, the date 1617 and the inscription "WILLIAM BLO(?)/ESQVIER LORD OF/THIS MANOR BV/(?) THIS TOWER". Interior: both splays of the east window have moulded image brackets on tall pedestals and elaborate crocketed canopies. Early-C13 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders has impost-capitals returning as strings. Wide chamfered tower arch may be earlier than 1617. Simple roofs are C18/early C19. Above the tower arch are traces of wall paintings. Fittings include late-C17 barleytwist communion rails, a small font on a tall panelled stem (probably C17) and a C19 stone pulpit. 2 large canopied monuments in the chancel commemorate members of the Dixon family. The earlier (probably early C17) is in painted stone with Ionic columns, obelisks, an achievement of arms and strapwork enclosing a vase of flowers and an hour glass on a skull; the full-length recumbent effigy is in armour. The monument to Edward Dixon and his 2 wives (c.1650) is in alabaster and black marble, and has the 3 figures kneeling around a prayer desk in a recess flanked by black Corinthian columns; the front panel is incised with the kneeling figures of 10 children. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p690)

Listing NGR: SP2935330125

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434037
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 690

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08532/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Manekshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].