LACON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251473

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1952

Statutory Address: LACON HALL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LACON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 10:23:56.

Location

Statutory Address: LACON HALL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Sawley

National Grid Reference: SE 24745 66855

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SAWLEY MAIN STREET SE 26 NW (west side, off)

4/140 Lacon Hall

23.4.52 - II

House. Early C17 incorporating remains of C16 timber frame, with C19 alterations and extensive mid C20 restoration. Coursed gritstone rubble, purple slate roof. 2 storeys with attics, 4 bays. Quoins; plinth. C20 glazed door in quoined shallow triangular-headed surround with deep lintel and formerly in timber-framed gabled porch to right of bay 1; door inserted in former 5-light window in bay 3. Recessed-chamfered mullion windows throughout, of 5 lights to ground floor, shorter and of 4 lights above. Single-light windows to right of bay 1 on first floor and in bay 2 to right on each floor. First-floor string course with cyma moulding. Eaves raised above first-floor windows. Gable copings. Ridge stack between bays 2 and 3; end stacks, that to left external with offsets and 2 flues. Rear: no original openings; attached single-storey former dairy, now entrance block, at right angles on right. Right return: chamfered single-light window to first floor left and 2 to attic storey. Interior: kitchen, bay 1, has very wide fireplace with chamfered segmental stone arch; spine beam with pyramidal stops; staircase built into this room. Bay 2 (probably former hall) has large fireplace with plain chamfered jambs and segmental arch and spine beam as kitchen. Bay 3: unheated, possibly a former service room, now staircase hall; spine beam with wide chamfer and plain stops. Bay 4: fireplace against gable wall has chamfered shallow triangular-headed surround. First floor: 3 rooms have fireplaces in same style as bay 4; extensive remains of earlier timber-frame visible in bays 2 and 4, comprising posts, braces and wall-plates with evenly spaced peg or dowel holes. The former porch with beam dated 'W 1655 I' was dismantled during restoration and the timbers stolen. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group. Report Number 196, (1976).

Listing NGR: SE2474566855

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434197

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 196, (1976)

End of official listing