This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1251489



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lympne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1990

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 175192

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/11/2017

TR 13 SW 6/131


(Formerly listed as SHEPWAY CROSS, HYTHE)


The asset was previously listed twice, also under the parish of Lympne as List entry 1239963. This entry was removed from the List on 06/03/2015.

War Memorial. Erected in 1923, dedicated to the bravery of the men of the Cinque Ports. Perpendicular style. Ashlar Cross set on four step octagonal base. Octagonal tapering shaft surmounted by crucifix with Christ flanked by the Virgin Mary and Apostle John on one side and Virgin and Child on the other. Chamfered octagonal base with four shields of towns of the Cinque Ports. The monument is surrounded by a low stone rubble wall with angled corners. Foundation stone laid by William 7th Earl Beauchamp and Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports and Admiral in 1923. The cross was a gift from the Earl Beauchamp on land donated by the owner of Lympne Castle.

Listing NGR: TR1253934993

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 July 2017.

Selected Sources

War Memorials Online, accessed 30/11/2016 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 July 2017 from

National Grid Reference: TR 12539 34993


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251489 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 06:03:25.

End of official listing