This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE ROTUNDA APPROXIMATELY 600 METRES WEST NORTH WEST OF DITCHLEY HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ROTUNDA APPROXIMATELY 600 METRES WEST NORTH WEST OF DITCHLEY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1251530

Location

THE ROTUNDA APPROXIMATELY 600 METRES WEST NORTH WEST OF DITCHLEY HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Spelsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 434128

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SPELSBURY DITCHLEY PARK SP32SE 8/173 The Rotunda approx. 600m WNW 27/08/57 of Ditchley House (Formerly listed as Ditchley Park Mansion and Temple)

GV II*

Garden temple. Circa 1760 by Stiff Leadbetter for the Earl of Litchfield. Limestone ashlar. Circular plan. A circular Ionic colonnade (the rear section a solid wall with corresponding pilasters) supports a heavy entablature and a lead-covered dome; rusticated decagonal base has 5 round-headed openings at the front, and at the rear is largely concealed by a turf double ramp leading to a panelled door at first-floor level. Between the columns is a delicate iron balustrade. Interior: dome has plaster coffering and a modillion cornice. An arched opening below the ramp leads to the enclosed rear section of the base. The Rotunda forms the principal focal point from the rear of Ditchley House. (Ditchley Park is included in the English Heritage Historic Gardens Register at Grade II*; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p576)

Listing NGR: SP3846621361

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 576
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

National Grid Reference: SP 38466 21361

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251530 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 12:57:00.

End of official listing