THE CLOSE WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1251543

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: THE CLOSE WALL, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CLOSE WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 15:26:33.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CLOSE WALL, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Salisbury

National Grid Reference: SU 14539 29534

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 The Close Wall SU 1429 NW 3/1A SU 1429 NE 4/1A SU 1429 SW 5/1A SU 1429 SE 6/1A 28.2.52. GV 2. The Close Wall is virtually intact on the south, east and north sides of the Close Land. The date of a building probably 1331, which Edward III granted permission to use material remaining at Old Sarum for the purpose. To the south in the Close itself the wall runs from the South on Harnham Gate qv, behind No 72 and 73 qv The Close extending west for approximately 208 ft then returning north to entrance of No 71 (South Canonry) qv for 119 ft. All this part has been rebuilt partly at later date, approximately 6 ft high, flint rubble with brick bands with tiled coping. From No 74 (Southgate House) The Close qv to the rear of No 4 St Nicholas's Road qv, a stretch with walkway, 322 ft ashlar blocks, approximately 10 ft high, no crenellation. A short break of some 10 ft rebuilt with stone-flint rubble and brick, then one of the most complete sections of the original wall running to the corner of Exeter Street qv and returned along this street to the level of the Brickett's Hospital on the opposite side, approximately 740 ft with short return section back into Close. Crenellated with walkway ashlar blocks, numerous small Norman panels from Old Sarum carved with flowers, chevrons etc. At the very end of this section, nearly level with Brickett's Hospital a projecting platform on 5 large stone brackets. The following section along Exeter Street up to the Bishop's Gate qv The Close, has had some alterations and is lower, no crenellation, stone and flint panels and some brickwork. Tiled coping to 1st lower section of some 30 ft. From Bishop's Gate to point level with No 82 Exeter Street, approximately 416 ft, the wall is about 6 ft high with tiled coping, stone with some Norman Old Sarum decorated panels. From this point to St Anne's Gate qv the wall is original height with crenellations and walkway, approximately 208 ft. Another intact and similar crenellated section from St Anne's Gate along St John's Street qv to the north east corner of the Close Lane, some 160 ft.To the north the wall is lower and has been partly rebuilt and patched at various dates, stone rubble, some flint panelling, brick bands and capping. On this side it is largely concealed as it forms the boundary wall between the houses on the north side of the Close and those that back onti it from the south side of New Street qv and Crane Street qv. From east to west: on New Street it forms the south boundary wall of Alexander House, Nos 1 to 49 (odd) and the College of Art for approximately 730 ft. Continued as the south boundary wall of No 47 High Streetqv for approximately 100 ft until it runs into Nos 48-48A The Close qv and the North Gate. At this end part of ditch remains. On the Close side the wall forms the north boundary of Nos 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 32 and 48-48A qv. To the west of the North Gate on the Close side it runs at the back of No 33A, Mompesson House and No 54 qv for 312 ft. Another stretch with walkway approximately 208 ft to the north of Nos 56A and 56B The Close continued by lower rebuilt walling with lean-to additions down to the Avon. On the north side the wall forms the north boundary of No 64 Higb Street qv and then on Crane Street qv Nos 87, 89, 91, 95, 97 and 99 and 101 (Church House and Audley House).

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.

Listing NGR: SU1423429762

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 318956

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing