BARN 50 METRES EAST OF CASTLE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251594

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: BARN 50 METRES EAST OF CASTLE FARMHOUSE, CASTLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN 50 METRES EAST OF CASTLE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251594 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 04:15:17.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN 50 METRES EAST OF CASTLE FARMHOUSE, CASTLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Offton

National Grid Reference: TM 06565 49239

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OFFTON CASTLE ROAD TM 04 NE 6/144 Barn 50m east of Castle - Farmhouse - II Barn, early C16 with alterations of lace C16 and c.1800. 5 bays. Timber- framed and weatherboarded. Asbestos-sheeted roof, probably once thatched. A gabled midstrey was added to the centre bay on the east side c.1800. Heavy C16 studwork with long arched windbraces of convex curvature; originally, walls were infilled with wattle and daub. The C16 crownpost system is complete, with rectangular posts, 2-way braced. The roof was originally hipped; the alterations at either end incorporate clasped-purlins. Tie-beams were formerly arch-braced, except at the southernmost bay; here is a small original side door, and evidence for a loft and/or a partition suggests a former stable or cowhouse. A further bay was added to the north end c.1600, and repairs at both ends of c.1800. The barn stands 30m north of the moated site of Offton Castle (Scheduled Ancient Monument No.57).

Listing NGR: TM0656549239

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434303

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing