Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251595.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2021 at 09:14:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 05971 48694


OFFTON CASTLE ROAD TM 04 NE 6/145 Court Farmhouse - - II Farmhouse, C15 with alterations of c.1600 and later. A 3-cell open-hall house; the service cell to right is of 2 storey cross-wing form. The hall range is of 1 storey with attics. Timber-framed and plastered; the hall range is partly encased in C19 painted brick. Plaintiled roof with gabled casement dormer. Axial C16 chimney of red brick. A rear chimney in the cross-wing is incorporated in a red brick gable of c.1700. Mainly C19 casements, some with transomes; in the wing are early C19 small-pane sashes, some with sidelights. At the cross-entry position is a fine, but altered 2-storey entrance porch of c.1600; the jetty has a moulded fascia board, this and the gable tie-beam and the bargeboards are all billet-carved, and at the eaves are pierced drop finials. Another larger finial formerly hung from the apex. The head survives from an oriel over the entrance. Boarded C19 entrance door. The 2- bay hall has an open truss with arch-braced cambered tie-beam, damaged by alterations. Complete coupled-rafter roof, smoke-encrusted. In C16 a large fireplace was built against the cross-passage. C1600, an upper floor with good chamfered joists was inserted in the hall. In C17 the crosswing walls were raised and the upper floor and roof rebuilt; many reused rafters are mediaeval and blackened. Known as Lost Farmhouse until early C20.

Listing NGR: TM0597148694


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].