Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251599.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 01:39:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 09102 48457


SOMERSHAM CHURCH LANE TM 04 NE 6/154 Church of St. Mary 9.12.55 - I Parish church, mediaeval. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Rendered rubble walling, partly limewashed with limestone dressings; the tower is of unplastered flint, septaria and limestone rubble. Plaintiled roofs. The nave has features of c.1300; a Y-traceried window and two lancets, and north and south doorways, all with scroll hood-moulds. The chancel was remodelled in mid C14; a canted and ceiled roof with moulded tie-beam and cornice, a good net-traceried east window and 2 smaller windows in south wall. Of mid/lace C14 is the good timber-framed porch with a heavy 2-centred doorway, drop- and mouchette-traceried side windows and coupled-rafter roof. The tower is also mid C14 with a 2-light west window, traceried belfry openings to east and west, and lionhead gargoyles. The C14 or C15 south door has original scrap- hinges and sanctuary ring. In the north wall is a 2-centred arched roodloft - doorway, made, unusually, of wood. The sanctus bell bracket is still attached to a beam in the chancel. The nave was reroofed in C15; canted and ceiled with moulded arch-braced tie-beams and cornice. Small early C16 priest's door in the north wall, and a cusped piscina opposice. The altar reredos has enriched panelling dated 1601; also in the sanctuary are C18 panels bearing the 10 Commandments, Creea and Lord's Prayer, flanked by fine paintings of Moses and Aaron, believed to have been given to the church in 1750. Late C17 altar rails with turned balusters. A fragment of C13/C14 wall painting on the south wall of nave. Blocking the outer face of the north nave doorway is a slab with inscription of 1786. On the south external wallface is another, dated 1717/18.

Listing NGR: TM0910248457


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11849/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].