BUSINESS SCHOOL, LONDON METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251605

Date first listed: 19-May-1983

Statutory Address: BUSINESS SCHOOL, LONDON METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY, 76-92, MOORGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUSINESS SCHOOL, LONDON METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251605 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 17:06:39.

Location

Statutory Address: BUSINESS SCHOOL, LONDON METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY, 76-92, MOORGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City and County of the City of London (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 32747 81599

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/03/2013

TQ 3281 NE 4/350 5002

MOORGATE Nos 76 to 92 (even) Business School, London Metropolitan University

(Formerly listed as Business School, London Polytechnic)

GV II

Formerly Electra House, headquarters of the international telegraph company, Cable and Wireless. 1900-3. Belcher de Joass sculpture by George Frampton. Stone; granite podium; slated roof. Five storeys and dormers. Twelve bays. Monumental classical building, almost symmetrical with central dome. Rusticated to ground and first floors. Central round arched entrance of two storeys. Rusticated pavilions slightly advanced, flanking entrance topped by small pediments. Concave colonnade between, with dome above. Giant Corinthian columns to either side, to second and third storeys. Main cornice above third floor. Windows square headed except first floor, with semicircular arches. Oriel to left hand corner rising two storeys. Much figure sculpture. Bronze globe finial to dome support by putti. Elaborate two storey entrance hall in stone with Ionic columns. Original stained glass window over door depicting symbolically wireless communications.

The building was taken over by the City of London College in 1944, and subsequently joined with other colleges to become part of the London Metropolitan University’s Business School.



Listing NGR: TQ3274781599

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 199868

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing