Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of 44 AND 45, NEW PARK STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251610.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 05:28:23.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 00516 61631


1. 1042 NEW PARK STREET (North East Side)

Nos 44 and 45 SU 0061 3a/292


2. Original lease from the Borough of 1663 renewed in 1743 and now freehold. The present front probably dating from the time of renewal. 3 storeys red brick casing a timber frame. Rendered plinth, brick bands between storeys. Eaves band. Slate roof with hipped gable ends. 3 windows to upper floors (traces of other blocked windows), slightly recessed sashes, 3 panes wide with cambered heads, moulded frames, segmental brick arches to 1st floor, block sills. Ground floor has yard entry to left, double plank doors with wood lintel, timber framing visible on side wall. Early C19 shop window of 6 large panes and door of 4 panes and flush panel. Recessed house door of 4 fielded panels with good lion head iron knocker. Window and doors flanked by Doric pilasters with common frieze and cornice. To right the door of No 45 is recessed of 6 moulded panels with fist and ring knocker. To far right small early C19 shop window of 6 panes, flanked from sill level by pilasters with frieze and cornice hood over. The shop interior of No 44 has fielded panelling and in the corner a bowed chimney breast also panelled. The yard entry dates from circa 1840 when a malthouse was added to the rear, this survives and was in use until 1905. Adjoining along yard and formerly part of the malthouse a print works run by the present owner of the property with a very fine cast iron press of circa 1860 still in use and decorated with the attributes of the press staff of Mercury etc...

Nos 43 to 46 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: SU0051661631


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/01487/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M Reed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].